After several hours of research and in-depth examination of around twenty models, we have defined that the Asus Chromebook Flip C434 has the best value for money. This Chromebook is indeed the ideal tool for fast and efficient office use, while presenting many advantages including its 360 ° reversibility and its excellent user comfort.
Why trust us ?
The Selectos editorial team spends thousands of hours researching, analyzing and comparing products in order to find those that offer the best value for money.
None of our articles are sponsored. We sometimes receive a commission when you buy a product through our links, which allows us to finance our work while remaining completely impartial.
How did we choose?
While it may seem easy to choose a laptop that meets the configurations we need every day, it is more difficult to determine which one offers both good performance and high hardware quality, all at a competitive price.
To determine the question of the real quality / price ratio of laptops offered on the market, we therefore relied on the following criteria:
- The screen : you will spend hundreds / thousands of hours looking at your screen. It is therefore impossible to overlook it. In general, it is advised that a screen has at least a definition of 1366 x 768 pixels for a size of 10 to 13 ”, and 1920 x 1080 pixels beyond, to have a clear image in all circumstances. But you should also not overlook the brightness of the screen, or its anti-reflective treatment, for comfortable use. As far as dimensions are concerned, it’s up to you to decide which is best for the most common sizes: 11, 13 -14 , 15 and 17 inches .
- The keyboard : whatever the size of the portable PC, it is necessary that its keyboard is of quality, proposing keys of average size, arranged with a reasonable space, in order to have enough room to type correctly. Ideally, it is backlit, to facilitate its use in the dark, and should not make too much noise, so as not to become a source of embarrassment for yourself or your entourage.
- The touch pad : you should not underestimate the importance of the pad in a device intended to be portable, because if it is of quality, it completely dispenses you from the use of a mouse while allowing a fast navigation . It must be of sufficient size only to guarantee marked, responsive and precise gestures, without cluttering the space.
- The sound : that of a laptop is never optimal, because of their construction, which prevents the integration of quality speakers (at least not without going to a very large budget). But if you do not want to have to automatically use headphones or headphones (unless you are a gamer, in which case a suitable headset is often necessary), prefer a PC where the speakers are directed upwards or outside, so as not to muffle the sound or modify its resonance depending on the support surface.
- The housing : it is generally made of plastic or aluminum. Plastic is practical because it is inexpensive and very light, and firm enough to offer correct resistance while being flexible enough to absorb shock. But inexpensive computers are unfortunately often made of mediocre and fragile plastic. Aluminum cases are firmer and offer better resistance than plastic ones. But they are sometimes a little heavier, and more expensive.
- Weight : the mobility of a PC will obviously greatly depend on its weight. Whenever possible, to be transported easily, it should weigh less than 2 kg. But this is not the only factor to take into account: a heavy 11 “laptop will always be easier to carry than a light 17” laptop (the concepts of heavy and light being of course relative). Chromebooks (which we’re talking about here ) are generally lighter than other computers.
- Autonomy : if you want to be able to take your device everywhere without having to transport the battery, bet on an autonomy of minimum 8 hours. However, never trust the manufacturer’s indication, always a little overvalued, and consult the specialized tests to find out its real autonomy, depending on the use you will make of it (a gaming use, for example, draining much faster the battery only for office use).
- Components : the choice of components (CPU, GPU, RAM) must of course depend on your needs, an office configuration is not enough for gaming use and a gaming configuration unnecessarily increasing costs for someone who will not have one. than office use. But it is important that the configuration is balanced (for example, a Core i7 processor will not be able to run at full capacity with 4 GB of RAM).
- The price : it is important to keep in mind that the quality / price ratio is what it is, namely a relationship between two parameters. Thus, a model at 250 € could have a quality / price ratio similar to a model at 800 €. Why ? Because of their difference in quality. So there is no question here of choosing the cheapest possible computer, but rather the one that offers the highest value at the most competitive price for what you need. If your budget is limited, we have a comparison specially dedicated to inexpensive (but quality) laptops !
For this comparison, we have preselected around forty reputable laptops on the market. By focusing on the idea of a “standard” use of the PC (office, surfing, streaming), we eliminated from our selection the more “specialized” computers, responding to very specific configurations and which are the subject of comparisons. dedicated ( laptops for gamers , graphic designers , students …), and we limited ourselves to a maximum budget of € 1,200.
This allowed us to restrict our selection to around twenty models. Among these, we have carefully examined each of the parameters set out above, to automatically eliminate those presenting a defect at this level.
Finally, by comparing the characteristics and the price at which each is offered, user feedback (collected on various French and English-speaking sites) we were able to establish the following 6 models.
Our Choice: Asus Chromebook Flip C434
This premium Chromebook (from PCs with Chrome OS, to which we have devoted a dedicated comparison ) offers advanced ergonomics (it has one of the best keyboards currently), great performance, and first-class finishes. As a bonus, its reversible touch screen makes it a real 2-in-1 PC.
It has a premium design, with quality finishes and a chassis made entirely of aluminum. Despite its 14 ”screen, it is not much larger than a 12.5” pc, because it incorporates NanoEdge display technology and very thin edges of only 5 mm. It therefore has an ultra-compact format, and weighs only 1.45 kg!
It displays a full HD touch screen well calibrated in color and brightness. In addition, it is a 360 ° reversible model.
The thinness of the Chromebook makes us think that we have a real tablet in my hands. Its ErgoLift hinge, very fluid, allows to raise the keyboard for better typing comfort once the screen is open (the keyboard is reputed to be one of the most comfortable, with sufficiently spaced and reactive keys).
In addition, this allows a better distribution of sound thanks to the slight space thus created under the screen. Therefore, multimedia use is even more enjoyable.
We recommend its basic version which is already extremely powerful, with its Intel M3 processor, its 32 GB of memory expandable via microSD and 8 GB of RAM. In this configuration, it has an autonomy of more than 10 hours, and is fast and efficient (also in multitasking). However, the most demanding of you can head for a more advanced version, with a Core i5 processor .
In addition to the microSD port, its connectors include two USB-C, a USB 3.0 and a 3.5 mm mini-jack socket. No HDMI, this is the price of its extreme finesse (a hub easily overcomes the problem).
In summary, this Chromebook has everything to please: comfortable, elegant, light, compact, enduring, efficient, tactile and reversible. For long hours on your Chromebook, this is definitely the model we recommend.
The best cheap value laptop: Asus Chromebook C523 (NA-EJ0094)
For intensive use, it is sometimes more comfortable to have a larger screen. From this point of view, the Asus C523 is probably the most attractive proposition of the moment. Apart from this 15 ”screen, it has a wide variety of configurations to adapt it to your needs and budget, as well as good mobility.
First of all, it incorporates NanoEdge technology which allows, with an optimization of screen edges, to offer a 15.6 ”screen in a PC whose format is closer to 14” models, which makes it easier transportable, for a very reduced weight of 1.4 kg!
Its Full HD screen is not only tactile, but also handy at 180 °, which is often the delight of professionals for presentations.
As we announced, its components are powerful enough for professional use: Intel Pentium N4200 processor, 32 GB of memory expandable via microSD and 8 GB of RAM.
Connectivity level, it has two USB-C ports (which will allow you to easily use a hub to counter the absence of HDMI), two USB 3.0 ports, and a mini-jack.
Its backlit keyboard is announced very comfortable by users thanks to its good space optimization. But it is the Corning Gorilla touchpad which wins unanimity due to its extreme responsiveness.
Finally, it has an autonomy of around 10 hours, which makes it one of the most enduring models on the market, despite its 1080p screen and its power.
Ultimately, this Chromebook is perfect for people who want a larger screen, both for visual comfort at work and for watching a movie comfortably. As a bonus, it does not carry the bulk or heaviness usually found on 15-inch models.
The best high-end value for money laptop: Dell XPS 13
With an elegant and beautiful design, this 13 ”PC has some under the hood. For advanced tasks like photo editing, it does the job comfortably. Even if the investment is more substantial, it retains an excellent quality / price ratio and is clearly worth it.
Its Full HD screen offers exemplary colorimetry, brightness and contrast. Note that, if you are interested, a 4K version is available, but whose price / quality ratio seems less attractive (4K is not necessarily justified on a screen of this size).
Its carbon fiber keyboard is very pleasant to the touch and is designed to minimize typing errors (you have to press well in the center of the key). Of course, it is backlit. There is nothing to say either about the touchpad, very responsive.
In terms of components, it is rather excellent for this price: Intel Core i5-10210U processor (10th generation), Intel UHD graphics card, 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB SSD. With this solid base, it is able to support advanced office tasks, multitasking, photo and video editing and even some games (of course, you will have to make some concessions in terms of graphics if you want to get a satisfactory ips, but nothing that prevents you from playing comfortably).
And despite everything it has on board, it has an autonomy of more than 9 hours, which combined with its 1.23 kg, makes it a model of mobility.
Connectivity side, you will see that the search for finesse of the PC has generated some choices: the traditional USB and HDMI ports have disappeared, in favor of three USB-C ports, accompanied by a microSD reader and a headphone jack.
In the end, the 2019 version of the Dell XPS 13 does honor to the excellent reputation of the range: solidity, finesse, speed, endurance, it is good in everything. Even if the investment is more substantial, it retains an excellent quality / price ratio and is clearly worth it for those who want a laptop PC capable of being truly versatile.
A cheap alternative: Acer Spin 311 For Work (R721T-4058)
This model has an amazing quality / price ratio. Aimed at professionals and students, it has a high robustness while being pleasant to use and efficient.
It is a model with a reversible HD touch screen, which can be switched to tablet mode. However, note that, for a slightly larger investment, the Acer 511 For Work has a dual camera and an Acer Active Pen.
For an 11 ”model, its keyboard seems comfortable to use, and the Corning Gorilla Glass screen offers good visual comfort.
The build quality is undeniable. Its hull is designed to withstand drops up to 1.22 m, while its keyboard is not only protected against tearing of the keys but also against splashes.
Component level, it is one of the PCs to include an AMD processor (the AMD A4-9120C). This makes him a very fast model in surfing, and no application can resist him. It also has 4 GB of RAM and a memory of 32 GB, expandable via MicroSD. Its autonomy reaches well the 10 hours announced.
On the other hand, the connection, skips the HDMI port as it is a very recent model, but has the advantage of offering, in addition to the two USB 3.1 ports, two USB-C ports, which makes it easy to use a hub.
In the end, it is a particularly resistant and powerful Chromebook compared to its low price. If it is suitable enough for the use of a (young) student, it is also perfect to transport everywhere easily, between its reduced size, its robustness and its good autonomy.
A mid-range alternative: Dell G3 15 3590
This gaming PC does not work miracles. Nevertheless, it has good components including a GTX 1650 4 GB. Its manufacturing quality is good and, in addition, it corrects the lack of endurance that this type of PC generally has, thanks to its above-average autonomy. . Despite a screen that is a little disappointing, it will be able to convince less demanding gamers who do not wish to go up too high in prices.
Unfortunately, the 15.6 ” Full HD screen is its main flaw. The maximum brightness remains quite low and the colors lack bite. As a bonus, the response time is a bit slow to take full advantage of fast games in the best conditions.
On the other hand, we have nothing to complain about the backlit keyboard, rather reactive and comfortable, with a short stroke (important point for the players).
In terms of design, it is a continuation of the Dell G range, with a discreet gaming aspect. Its housing is made of plastic. All this allows it to reach 2.4 kg on the scale.
Its autonomy is above average with 6:30. Which places it on top of the stack in front of other gaming PCs offered at this price (the average being 5.5 hours).
On the component side, it is well supplied: Intel Core i5-9300H processor 4 cores, 8 GB of RAM, 1 TB hard drive and 256 GB SSD and finally, GTX 1650 4 GB (very rare at this price). Although it is limited for more demanding games, this combination is certainly sufficient to enjoy high quality on the vast majority of games today. In addition, the cooling system is relatively efficient, even if it tends to heat up, which makes it possible to maintain a constant temperature.
However, its connection is a bit weak for this type of PC: an HDMI port, a USB-C port, two USB 2.0 ports, a USB 3.1 port and an RJ45 port. It also has an SD port.
In the end, this laptop PC offers a high price / power ratio. It offers good components including a GTX 1650 and benefits from a long range, which is more comfortable if you have to use it on the go.
A high-end alternative: Dell Inspiron 7000 2-in-1 (7791)
It is an excellent choice for larger tasks and the touch screen is very practical for your different missions or for multitasking. However, this PC quickly tilts when asked to do larger graphics work, in part because of its entry-level card.
First of all, its LED screen is of good constitution. It has a Full HD resolution with good display finesse. The brightness, colorimetry and contrast are correct. However, these values, combined with the glossy coating, do not allow good outdoor use.
The keyboard is quiet and comfortable. Some criticize him for a fairly low pressure point but that does not detract from the general impression. It benefits from backlighting and shares space with an integrated digital touchpad. The touchpad is also very pleasant due to its slightly rough coating which allows a certain grip without preventing good reactivity.
As for autonomy, it goes up all the same to 7 hours despite the presence of the touch screen which usually reduces the battery! Intensive use of the touchscreen can decrease this time. Also note that its weight of 2.76 kg is already in the high middle. However, it remains fairly transportable.
In terms of components, it is also very efficient: MX250 graphics card with 2 GB dedicated, Intel Core i7-10510U (10th generation), 16 GB of RAM and 512 GB in NVMe SSD, offering optimal speed when accessing storage, startup, launch of applications and all your activities. The graphics card is, unfortunately, less suitable for gaming.
For connectivity, it consists of an HDMI 2.0 port, an SD media player, 2 USB 3.1 ports, 1 USB-C, Bluetooth 5.0 and a headphone jack. In addition, it is compatible with MU-MIMO Wi-Fi technology optimizing the incoming and outgoing speed.
In the end, we offer the Dell Inspiron 17 7000 2-in-1 for people looking for a fast PC to manage daily tasks, finding a utility for touch and wanting to enjoy a satisfactory autonomy. But if you are looking for a PC capable of running the most demanding games released recently, we advise you to take a look at our comparison dedicated to PC gamers .
HP X360 12b : this PC suitable for children (we have developed a more in-depth analysis here ) comes close to the comfort of using a tablet with its small size, and offers a quality rendering rarely seen at this price. If its components are not the best at present, they nevertheless allow it to benefit from a good fluidity for all the tasks that a child can entrust to it.
Acer Chromebook 514 : this Chromebook offers a solid aluminum shell, a quality touchscreen and Full HD screen, a comfortable and backlit keyboard, as well as an incredible autonomy of almost 12 hours. Its components make it a champion in surfing and office automation. Unfortunately, its colorimetry is a bit dull.
Acer Swift 3 (SF314-56-5925) : with an autonomy of 9 to 10 hours and a weight of 1.5 kg, this Windows model is well thought out in terms of mobility. The connections are correctly provided and its components already allow you to perform some graphic editing tasks. Know that if the model interests you but you need less advanced options, there is in particular an i3 version , offered at a price also very interesting. On the other hand, the display quality can be improved, especially in terms of colors.
HP Omen 17 : ready for the future thanks to the support of Wi-Fi 6, it has enough power for the game as for the heaviest tasks. Whether you are an entertainment lover or in modeling, you will not be disappointed by its responsive and qualitative screen. However, its fairly substantial weight and its autonomy make it an easily movable PC without being transportable.