After several hours of research and meticulous analysis of more than thirty models, we made our selection of the best pillows among which stood out that of La Cocarde Verte . Natural and organic, it consists of a cotton cover and a filling in millet bales, comfortable and silent. It adapts perfectly to each physiognomy and its firmness is adaptable. In addition, it is vegan and made in France.
Why trust us ?
The Selectors editorial team spends thousands of hours researching, analyzing and comparing products in order to find those that offer the best value for money.
None of our articles are sponsored. We sometimes receive a commission when you buy a product through our links, which allows us to finance our work while remaining completely impartial.
How did we choose?
Choosing a pillow that is comfortable and suitable for your body type is essential to ensure a restful and painless sleep. However, the choice can be very complicated: as we had already observed in our selection of the best quilts and best mattresses , there are a multitude of products on the market, which often seem very similar.
Here are a few things to pay attention to before buying:
- The maintenance : according to Simon, osteopath in Lyon at Reflex Stereo , a good pillow is primarily a pillow that respects your body, maintaining the alignment of your neck whatever your position favorite. Generally, it is advisable to opt for a firm copy if you sleep on your side, rather firm if you prefer to be on your back, and fairly soft in the prone position. Some brands offer modular cushions, or which are suitable for most positions.
- The shape : some models have a curved shape to provide better support to the neck. If, sometimes, pillows can effectively relieve you and improve your comfort, there is still no miracle recipe for eliminating certain ailments. The dimensions are most often either square (50 x 50 cm or 60 x 60 cm), or 50 x 70 cm. Other formats are sometimes available, but you may find it more difficult to find suitable pillowcases.
- Materials : the ideal is to favor the hypoallergenic , anti-mite and antibacterial components . More and more brands are also offering materials certified by the Oeko-tex label (standard 100), attesting that the textiles used are free from products harmful to our health and the environment. Certified products are of course to be preferred.
- Maintenance : to extend the life of your pillow, remember to protect it with a pillowcase. You can also shake and air it regularly. Some models can go into the machine, but check the label and its maintenance instructions! If certain specialists affirm that it would be necessary to change pillow every 2 to 5 years, the important thing is above all to determine if its comfort and its maintenance are always up to par or not.
Finally, it is especially the padding that is most likely to vary from one model to another. Here are the main ones currently on the market:
- Synthetic fibers : they are, with foam, the most common. They are often microfibers or polyester. The advantage is that they are generally compatible with a machine wash. The cushions filled with synthetic fibers are available in various choices, varying in terms of firmness.
- Memory foam : very ergonomic, it adapts perfectly to your body shape , creating a cozy nest tailored to your head, neck and shoulders. Thus, it provides optimal support and limits the risk of pain associated with a bad position. Its synthetic material, on the other hand, often implies a slightly less effective regulation of temperature and humidity.
- Latex : it is appreciated for its firmness and the very good support it provides to the head and neck. It also benefits from good heat regulation. Be sure to opt for a natural latex pillow rather than a synthetic one: it will be free of potentially toxic chemicals.
- Wool : contrary to what one might think, it effectively regulates heat and humidity. Thus, it will offer you a very warm pillow in winter, but will avoid you an uncomfortable night in perspiration in summer. Wool pillows are known not to sag, but are considered too firm for some people.
- Cereals : it is a choice that is both Eco-responsible and comfortable. They are logically natural and often from organic farming. They have the advantage of being adapted to all body types while offering good head support. Cereal-filled pillows are naturally breathable and anti-mite. However, some people sometimes find them a bit noisy, not to mention that they can give the pillow a slight odor.
- Feathers and down : they make the pillow soft and fluffy, and are therefore particularly suitable if you sleep on your stomach. Nowadays, less and less common, they are generally more expensive, and some people are allergic to them. If this type of padding interests you, be sure to opt for a brand guaranteeing not to make live animals suffer to harvest the feathers.
Obviously, sensitivities and preferences are very personal and can vary greatly from one person to another. Fortunately, most brands offer a trial period allowing you to make an informed decision, and to return the pillow in case of discomfort.
It is with these criteria in mind that we conducted long hours of research on sites and blogs specializing in bedding in the French and English speaking worlds, and we per-selected more than thirty models. We were then able to reduce this list thanks to the numerous feedback from users, and we preferred, where possible and justifiable, the more natural and ecological copies.
This is how we can share with you our selection of the 5 best pillows currently available on the market.
Our Choice: The Green Cockade
This Made in France pillow seduces with its 100% natural and organic composition, which adapts very well to all body types and allows you to sleep in all positions. Its millet padding is soft, silent and does not settle. In addition, the cover is provided with a zipper allowing you to adjust the filling in order to adapt it to your needs and preferences. It is of course anti-mite and hypoallergenic.
La Cocarde Verte offers natural pillows whose cover is made from 100% organic cotton and whose filling, also organic, consists of buckwheat, spelled or millet. We preferred the latter, which has the advantage of being completely silent.
The small millet bales are round and soft, adapting perfectly to your body shape. The pillow is then soft and ideal for complete relaxation of the back and neck. It is recommended for people suffering from neck pain, and allows you to sleep in all positions.
In addition, the padding does not settle. The zipper of the cushion offers a nice molecularity, since you will be able to adapt the quantity of millet for a comfort to your taste, very flexible or much firmer.
On the other hand, many consumers find it too little filled at the time of purchase (which is a bit of a shame considering its price). The site also offers refills to properly adjust the pillow to your needs.
The natural composition of the product makes it automatically anti-mite and hypoallergenic, which is very practical. In addition, it has a very natural sweet smell that many appreciate. Eco-friendly, organic, 100% vegan and made in France, it also benefits from a guarantee for 5 years.
In the end, this model is highly appreciated for its design and impresses with its comfort and flexibility. It is a very good option if you want to take care of both your body and our planet.
The best cheap pillow: Bed-story
The English brand, specialized in bedding for more than 30 years, offers a set of two soft cushions of 60 x 60 cm at an affordable price. They are padded with spiral fibers, ensuring their swelling over time. In addition, they are suitable for all: they are hypoallergenic and anti-mite, while adapting to all sleep positions.
The pillow is filled with high quality 3D spiral hollow fibers, optimal to prevent it from flattening. Users notice indeed that it preserves its shape and its swelling very well over time.
The padding is hypoallergenic and anti-mite, while being antiperspirant. No risk of waking up with the pillow soaked on hot summer nights. It was created with the aim of providing ideal support for the neck, and can also be adapted to all sleeping positions. No worries, therefore, if you tend to turn around all night.
The cushion is not removable but remains easy to maintain: it is machine washable at 40 ° and is antibacterial. Look level, the gray border and the velvet band give the pillows a refined and elegant air, far from basic.
You will have the opportunity to test these little clouds for 30 days before deciding if they are right for you. In the latter case, you will be able to return them. They are also guaranteed for 5 years for any problems related to the quality of the product.
Note that the cushions are sent under vacuum. They will look flat when unpacked, but don’t panic: they will quickly regain their initial shape and thickness.
In the end, the Bed-story cushions have a well-inflated and soft appearance, which lasts effectively over time. They adapt to all thanks to their anti-allergy, mites and perspiration properties, and support all sleep positions.
The best high-end pillow: Wopilo
Made in France from Oeko-tex certified materials, it is characterized by two sides respectively offering firm support or, on the contrary, more flexible and soft. Its memory foam heart is also ideal for supporting the head and neck. It is very appreciated for its comfort as well as for its material and manufacturing quality.
With its dimensions of 43 x 62 cm, it is suitable for pillowcases of 50 x 70 cm. It has two pockets of different firmness, either soft or more rigid, which allows you to place the cushion on the side that best suits you. Its padding includes very comfortable ultra-fine microfibers. It is especially recommended for a position on the back or on the side.
In addition, it has a removable memory foam heart, ideal for good head and cervical support. Despite the fact that it can be removed, some users find the pillow very thick, which is however perfectly suitable for others. Many are also very satisfied with the quality and finish of the product.
Its cotton percale cover is anti-mite and anti-allergenic, and can be machine washed at 40 °, with spinning at maximum speed. In addition, all the materials used are Oeko-tex certified, which we obviously appreciate, and are also from the short circuit.
100% vegan, Wopilo is made in France. After your 30-night trial, the brand promises you that you will be satisfied or reimbursed.
Ultimately, here is a pillow that you will like if you are looking for a rather thick model that is not likely to become flattened too quickly. Its height and firmness are adjustable, which is very practical. Its French manufacture from materials without harmful substances is ideal. It has also been voted product of the year 2019 by French consumers!
A mid-range alternative: Uttu
This curved “pillow-sandwich” has two ends at different heights, as well as a removable inner layer, allowing you to adjust everything in four measures, as you wish. It is ideal for cervical support, and its materials are of course Oeko-tex certified.
It has a unique design to adjust the height for optimal comfort. Its slightly curved undulating shape has two sides with different heights, measuring 9 and 7 cm respectively. You can add a foam insert acting as an intermediate layer, which will raise the pillow to 12 and 10 cm. The cushion is also 60 cm long and 36 cm wide.
It is ideal for supporting the cervical, and is further composed of a memory foam. It is suitable for all types of sleepers, regardless of the position chosen. Although ergonomic, its shape can be surprising during the first nights. Users get used to it very quickly, though some find the firmness too minimal.
The outer layer of the pillow is made of 60% polyester and 40% bamboo fibers, known for their naturally antibacterial and hypoallergenic properties. This amalgam allows good ventilation. All materials are also Oeko-tex certified.
This time, the brand offers you the opportunity to test the cushion for 96 nights and, in case of dissatisfaction, to return it, while ensuring a quality guarantee for 5 years.
Finally, we have to mention the fact that some buyers noticed a strong unpleasant smell when unpacking. The brand warns that the latter comes from foam, and is non-toxic. Do not hesitate to ventilate the pillow well before using it.
In the end, this model is very convincing thanks to its adjustable heart, which allows it to adapt to everyone’s preferences. It is particularly recommended for people suffering from neck pain. We also appreciate the fact that it meets Oeko-tex requirements. Too bad the smell when unpacking is off-putting.
A high-end alternative: Emma
This model, very popular with consumers, is distinguished by its three layers of memory foam with different properties, ensuring a certain comfort for all types of sleepers. Its height is once again adjustable, and its materials, breathable and Oeko-tex certified, effectively regulate the temperature.
This 70 x 40 cm memory foam pillow has three modular internal layers. The first, made of Hyper gel foam, is flexible and soft. The second consists of a firmer Marcello foam, which will bring stability to the whole. Finally, the visco-elastic foam layer ideally distributes the pressure.
These three inserts can be separated for height, comfort and adaptable positions. So, if you prefer to sleep on your side, the brand recommends keeping the three layers of foam for optimal neck support. If you sleep on your stomach instead, only one will be enough. In addition, you can alternate the order of the different layers.
The fact that the pillow is customizable appeals to many users. They also mention the need for a short adaptation time, which for the majority of them results in a much more peaceful sleep.
The thermostatic fiber cover effectively regulates humidity and temperature. It is made of 98% polyester and 2% spandex for better elasticity. Removable, it is machine washable. In addition, the Emma pillow has Oeko-tex certification.
It is guaranteed for no less than 10 years, and of course you benefit from a 100-night “satisfied or refunded” trial period.
In the end, we appreciate the molecularity of this cushion made up of three layers, which is adaptable to the wants and needs of everyone. Comfortable and breathable, it is also very popular and seduced by its comfort.
Dodo : this soft synthetic pillow is treated against mites, and is ideal for avoiding allergy attacks. It is lined with hollow silicone polyester fibers which promote air circulation and thus reduce the humidity level. Its soft microfiber cover is washable at 60 °, and is available in various sizes as well as a firmer version .
Kipli : this Italian brand, which makes its cushions by hand, offers a 50 x 70 cm pillow in 100% natural latex wrapped in an organic cotton cover. Comfortable and breathable, it is eco-friendly and guaranteed without harmful substances. It is suitable for everyone (unless you are allergic to latex, of course!) Thanks to its hypoallergenic and antibacterial properties. Although displayed at a higher price and less known to the general public, it is worth discovering.
Simba Hybrid : first designed to be used in space exploration, this pillow conquered the terrestrial world. Its heart is made up of shape memory nanotubes that adapt to your body to offer you optimal support, and its thickness is adjustable by removing or adding padding. Outlast technology proactively regulates body temperature by absorbing and releasing heat for ideal temperature overnight. Some users, however, seem suspicious of its quality / price ratio.
Casper : very popular, this pillow is light and comfortable. It has a small bellows that keeps it swollen and provides good cervical support. If some users feel that it lacks a little consistency, others approve of its comfort and firmness. Its price is however quite high.