In this post, I have gathered the best Brake Fluids 2020 presently obtainable.
Good brake fluid must meet several requirements at once. Firstly, it must have a high boiling point. Otherwise, you will feel the brake pedal fail. Is it necessary to say that it will not lead to anything good? Secondly, minimal corrosion activity is required. This will allow you not to worry about the fact that the brake line may become rusty. Thirdly, the brake fluid must have good lubricating properties. If your car has an anti-lock system, pay attention only to DOT5.1 standard fluid. Fourth, the product must have high viscosity stability. Otherwise, in cold weather, you may encounter poor braking performance. So, which fluids meet all these requirements?
Which brake fluid to choose
Conventionally, all existing products can be divided into two groups, which we did. The first will include brake fluids produced abroad. The second includes products from domestic companies. The difference between them is actually small.
In recent years, our refineries have been coolly upgraded, resulting in the emergence of high-quality automotive oils, brake fluids and other products needed to service vehicles. At the same time, packaging with Russian-made liquid is often cheaper, which should also not be forgotten.
The most popular in the vastness of our country are brake fluids under the following brands:
- Liqui Moly
Do not assume that only these companies produce quality products. Once again, their products simply boast more popularity.
The best brake fluids of Russian production
Sintec Super DOT-4
Sintec is the most popular Russian manufacturer of automotive lubricants. Its products are regularly advertised on television and radio stations. And buyers themselves praise it much more often than scolded it. For example, Super DOT-4 brake fluid does not have serious flaws. It will not suit only a very expensive and incredibly moody foreign-made car. In other cases, drivers remain from this fluid if not in ecstasy, then in sensations close to it.
For 455 grams, the Sintec Super DOT-4 is asking for a dime. This makes brake fluid very cheap. It is produced in the Moscow region, at the Obninskorgsintez plant. Freshly unpacked, the liquid begins to boil at a temperature of 240 ° C. This is a very good result, even if not perfect.
After about a year of operation, the boiling point drops significantly – to 155 ° C. But almost any brake fluid sins with this. That is why it is recommended to change it, if not once a year, then at least once every one and a half or two years.
As for viscosity, it remains at a good level even in severe frost. If you do not have a rally car, then you will not feel much difference in the behavior of the car in summer and winter. The problems with this product are instability of quality.
A liquid produced at one time can differ quite a lot from a product released literally a month later. This is confirmed by tests of various automotive publications.
- Very low price tag;
- Viscosity at different temperatures almost does not change;
- Conforms to all requirements of the declared standard;
- A sufficiently high boiling point in the first six months of use.
- Instability of quality.
Another low-cost product that fits perfectly with DOT4 requirements. This liquid, produced by the Dzerzhinsky plant, boils only at a temperature of 255 ° C. But, like most competitors, after a year of use, the result becomes much worse – the boiling point will already be only 160 ° C. In winter, almost nothing happens with the brake fluid – the viscosity is close to the initial parameter even in severe frost.
The main advantage of this product is its widespread availability. You can buy it in almost any auto shop in Russia. And this fluid is used by domestic automakers. Dzerzhinsky factory assures that its creation has minimal corrosion properties. In a word, this is quite a worthy product of domestic production, the purchase of which does not affect the budget at all.
- It is very cheap;
- When freshly unpacked, it boils at a very high temperature;
- Good viscosity characteristics;
- Fully compliant with the DOT4 standard.
- Not in the best way shows itself on cars with ABS.
Sintec EURO DOT 6
The latest product of the Obninskorgsintez plant. As its name implies, the fluid meets the requirements of DOT6. The “dry” (freshly unpacked) liquid boils only at a temperature of 274 ° C. To such a parameter, the brakes will rarely be warmed up, unless you participate in a rally and an autocross. But most of all, the fact that even after about a year of operation, the properties of the liquid does not fall very much is encouraging – boiling occurs at 182 ° C.
If you live in the northern region of our homeland, then you need to fill in exactly Sintec EURO DOT 6. The fact is that in a 40-degree frost the viscosity of the product remains at a more than acceptable level. To be precise, the viscosity at such a moment is 647.5 mm2 / s. The ideal result, twice or three times the performance of the vast majority of products on the market. The problem with this liquid is that it is produced in a minimal amount, and therefore it is quite difficult to find it in stores.
- Ideal viscosity in frost;
- Overrides DOT4 regulations;
- Boils at extremely high temperature;
- Excellent lubricating properties.
- Not common.
The best brake fluids of foreign manufacture
Motul DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid
Motul’s product is fully compliant with DOT 5.1. At the same time, the manufacturer assures that his creation can be poured into a car where liquid of the DOT3 or DOT4 standard remains. That is, a complete replacement of the liquid is not required – it will do and, as they say, “refueling”. However, it’s better to ride only Motul DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid without mixing. In this case, you definitely will not encounter poor braking performance.
In the first hours and weeks of use, this product boils only when heated to 272 ° C. This is an excellent result, achieved only with very long braking, and even then not on every car. In the “wetted” state, the boiling point traditionally drops – in this case, to 185 ° C. But this indicator is not as easy to achieve as it seems. The fluid is specially designed for machines endowed with an ABS system. The creators also achieved that the viscosity of the product when the temperature drops to -40 ° C does not exceed 820 mm2 / s. This is also a very good indicator, which should be enjoyed by all residents of regions dominated by long and cold winters.
- More than covers the requirements of the DOT4 standard;
- Even in the “moistened” state it boils at a high temperature;
- In frosts, viscosity increases slightly.
- Not every motorist will like the price.
Castrol React DOT4 Low Temp
The best choice for a resident of Norilsk and any other northern region of Russia. Even with frost at -40 ° C, the viscosity of this product remains at 650 mm2 / s. This makes the product compliant with the DOT5.1 standard. But why does the manufacturer indicate a less demanding standard in the packaging and in the name? Apparently, this is such a marketing move that allows you to sell the product in a more popular segment.
As for the boiling point, it is freshly unpacked liquid is 265 ° C. If you do not drive on the circuit in Sochi or near Moscow, then this will be quite enough for you. Everything is in order and with the boiling point in the “moistened” form – it is 175 ° C. This means that most motorists will not notice any problems even after a year of operating a car with this brake fluid. It turns out that it needs to be changed only every two years. Unfortunately, the fluid is not without flaw. It consists in the packaging of the product. For some reason, the manufacturer did not start selling liquid in a liter bottle – there is only a half-liter container.
- Minimum viscosity even in severe frost;
- High boiling point even after a year of use;
- Meets even stricter standards;
- Ideal for cars with ABS.
- There is only a half liter bottle;
- Price will not suit everyone.
Liqui Moly Bremsenflussigkeit DOT4
This brake fluid may not be liked for two reasons. Firstly, it is packaged in a bottle that looks like some kind of cleaning agent. In a word, this is not at all like a product from a world famous company. Secondly, it is difficult to pronounce the name of this liquid in the store. However, is it necessary to do this when even car dealerships are now being created in the manner of supermarkets? Otherwise, this liquid does not have serious shortcomings, it fully complies with the standard indicated on the package.
Fresh liquid boils at a temperature of 230 ° C. If she spent about a year in a car, the boiling point drops to 155 ° C. In a word, everything is very typical. The problem with this product is that it cannot be used in cold winters, since at minus temperatures the liquid begins to visibly stick. Residents of Moscow and the Krasnodar Territory may well be satisfied with the purchase, but somewhere in Syktyvkar it is better to forget about the product from Liqui Moly.
- Anticorrosion properties – on top;
- The price tag is not very high for a foreign product;
- Does not affect the technical condition of brake hoses and seals;
- Decent boiling point.
- After a year of operation, the fluid is recommended to be replaced;
- When freezing, it becomes too viscous.
What brake fluid to buy
- If your finances are limited, then you should pay attention to a domestic product called Sintec Super DOT-4. A bottle of this liquid is extremely inexpensive, and if the product is inferior to foreign competitors, then just a little.
- RosDOT-4, a product of the Dzerzhinsky plant, shows itself even better. It complies with the same DOT4 standard, boiling only at a temperature of 255 ° C. Viscosity is maintained at an optimal level in winter, although it is better not to fill this fluid in a car with ABS at this time of year.
- Thebest domestic option is Sintec EURO DOT 6. With this fluid, the brakes work perfectly even in extreme cold. In this regard, the product is recommended for purchase in the northern regions of our country.
- Themore common Motul DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid has approximately the same characteristics. But not every driver will want to give that kind of money for a half-liter bottle. Nevertheless, you will have to go for such expenses if your car is equipped with an ABS system.
- Castrol React DOT4 Low Temp is a winner on all fronts. If you have decent money, then buy this brake fluid. It boils at a very high temperature, and does not become viscous in very severe frost. Such a liquid can be used even at the North Pole.
6. If you live in central Russia or even in the South, and you only need imported brake fluid, then pay attention to Liqui Moly Bremsenflussigkeit DOT4. It is relatively inexpensive, while its properties may well suit you. It is contraindicated only for residents of the northern regions of the country.
Hope you will get your desire one on this article, “best Brake Fluids”.