We conducted long hours of research and compared fifteen popular models to determine which are the best home alarms currently available on the European market. Among these, the Tiiwee offers a particularly convincing value for money. Basic and unconnected, it has above all a deterrent action. Easy to install and use, it has a reasonable volume, and can be equipped with numerous sensors and detectors. It can also act as a chime.
Why trust us ?
The Selectos editorial team spends thousands of hours researching, analyzing and comparing products in order to find those that offer the best value for money.
None of our articles are sponsored. We sometimes receive a commission when you buy a product through our links, which allows us to finance our work while remaining completely impartial.
How did we choose?
Security is one of the priorities of many owners, who are investing more and more in protection systems, which perform reassuring, dissuasive or protective functions in the event of frequent burglaries.
But choosing a home alarm is not easy, as there are many models on the market. This choice depends mainly on your home, the perimeter you want to cover and the criteria that are specific to your lifestyle.
Note that there are mainly three types of home alarms, which are mostly wireless these days:
- Local alarm : this is the traditional unconnected alarm, which triggers a siren to prevent an intrusion from taking place. Above all, it has a dissuasive power, since it cannot make direct contact with you or your neighbors. It should ideally be placed in a discreet location, so that burglars cannot find and deactivate it (although it is often necessary to enter a specific stop code). Basic, it is often inexpensive.
- The self-monitoring connected alarm : connected to a smartphone, it keeps you informed of the situation in real time, and therefore warns you of an intrusion by sending you a notification. The efficiency of the connected models obviously depends on the quality of your internet connection. There are also models using the mobile network, which is normally more reliable: the alarm center must be equipped with a SIM card, and will send you an SMS in the event of a problem. The advantage of this type of system is that it allows you to react immediately.
- The alarm connected to a remote monitoring center : in addition to keeping you informed in real time of the situation of your home, it is associated with a remote monitoring system provided by a company. Thus, a professional, able to quickly manage a burglary situation, is immediately notified when the alarm goes off and can take control of the situation. This monitoring mode is of course much more expensive, since it requires a subscription, often monthly, from a remote monitoring service.
Knowing this, here are some characteristics to take into account before any purchase:
- The detection range : the larger the area to be covered, the more the system must be complete and the higher the prices. An apartment can often be satisfied with a cheaper security system while a villa will probably have to move towards a medium or high-end model, more equipped. Also pay attention to the configuration and accesses that allow you to enter your home, that is to say the number of rooms to be covered as well as the number of doors and windows.
- The volume : the interior alarm siren aims above all to destabilize and scare away burglars. The more powerful it is, the more likely it is to fulfill its purpose. Generally, the alarm volume is around 110 dB. You can also extend your security system with an external alarm, which is then used to alert the neighborhood of an intrusion into your home, and thus deter thieves.
- Accessories : the vast majority of alarms are fitted with sensors to be placed on your doors and windows, which detect their opening. Often, they also carry motion detectors (if you can, we advise you to choose a system that does not take your pets into account). For the management of local alarms, there are often remote controls or badges . Some models also act as smoke or gas detectors.
Here we have privileged the “simple” alarms, connected or not, which assume a dissuasive role, rather than the surveillance systems, often equipped with a camera and requiring a monthly subscription to ensure remote monitoring. If you are interested in more complete systems, we invite you to consult our reviews dedicated to indoor and outdoor surveillance cameras .
We have browsed many English and French speaking reference websites and blogs, and have identified around fifteen currently popular models that meet our selection criteria. In order to decide between them, we then confronted them with numerous user feedback, which helped us to assess their reliability and ease of use.
This is how we are able to present you the 4 best home alarms currently available on the European market.
Our Choice: Tiiwee
Particularly suitable for protecting small houses, apartments or even caravans, this local alarm has strong deterrent power thanks to its 120 dB siren. It is sold as a kit, which can of course be completed, comprising two door / window sensors and a remote control. Very easy to install and take in hand, it can also act as a chime in shops and stores.
The main advantage of the Tiiwee A1 lies in its very simple use, and its installation facilitated by a clear and explicit manual. All settings are already made and just press a button to activate the alarm, then another to deactivate it.
There are two other buttons to choose the tone and to activate a manual siren. The buttons on the remote control, on the other hand, are very sensitive, and users would have appreciated that it was equipped with a lock. The most recent X3 version of the alarm works via PIN code, and offers two volume levels.
Equipped with two door or window sensors and a remote control, the alarm can be personalized with many accessories to further increase your security. Among these, there are other detection tools such as a greater number of door and window sensors (you can have up to 40) which offer a better sound in the event of an alert, as well as motion detectors.
Some believe that the alarm lacks a little power in terms of sound volume, although it benefits on paper with a power of 120 dB, above average. It should therefore be enough to protect a small house or apartment. Tenants are also particularly satisfied with the fact that it is easily removable.
In the end, if you are looking for a small, effective alarm kit used to deter thieves or simply to protect a small home, the Tiiwee will be perfect for you. It is not the most sophisticated, but is expandable thanks to its many addable accessories.
The best mid-range house alarm: Eray
This connected alarm with a power of 110 dB is armed with two motion detectors, nine opening detectors, two remote controls and two badges, all of which can of course be extended according to your needs. It works by double transmission, via Wi-Fi or GSM network, and can also be configured via the touch panel. Times and times are adjustable according to your needs, and the modern design is appreciable.
The centralizing panel has a Wi-Fi or 3G connection. The radio identification system (RFID) makes it possible to recover data, which can be viewed on your smartphone via the application. It can constantly update the panel and make any adjustments. You can also provide a SIM card for use via GSM.
Thus, the alarm can be deactivated from anywhere, either via the alarm panel controlled by the remote control, or via the mobile application, or by SMS. At the slightest alert, you are notified on your smartphone. The alarm can be configured to warn several people.
Various settings are possible: you can arm and disarm the alarm on schedule, or adjust the delay according to your needs. The sound level of 110 dB, without being ultra-powerful, is completely acceptable. It is able to cover a large area, and is therefore helped by the many sensors provided.
On the other hand, the configuration remains, according to users, quite arduous: it requires many codes, and is not facilitated by the user manual, very unclear and apparently poorly translated into French. It also sometimes seems to suffer from connection losses (hence the interest of the GSM system).
We also cast a slight doubt on the reliability of the brand and its after-sales service, since we have not managed to find a site or even a page of official social networks other than Amazon. It does not seem to be particularly specialized in alarms or security systems (it sells, among other things, children’s toys, bags, or even storage kits or boxes).
That being said, their alarm remains a product highly appreciated by users, and is more often validated by the reference sites that we have consulted. It will certainly suit you if you are looking for a connected device at a reasonable price.
The best high-end home alarm: Somfy Home
Somfy Home is distinguished by its ability to trigger before the break-in takes place, thanks to its IntelliTAG technology which detects suspicious vibrations. Connected and manageable via a simple application, it is compatible with many intelligent assistants, and its access can be shared with your loved ones or neighbors. It has three sensors and a motion detector in addition to the indoor siren, as well as two badges.
In addition to the indoor siren with a volume of 110 dB, you can add an outdoor siren with a 112 dB sound signal with flash and speakers, in order to repel the risk of intrusion as much as possible. The motion detector is discreet and efficient, and can be adjusted to ignore your pet.
The sensors are equipped with patented IntelliTAG technology, which perceives intruders before intrusion, for example by detecting vibrations linked to the use of tools intended to force the opening of a door or window. You are therefore immediately informed by notification. Your friends or neighbors can also be connected to the system in case you are on vacation.
Somfy Home is easy to install. The entire procedure is indicated on the Somfy Protect mobile application, available on iOS and Android. Its activation is done via the remote control or the application, an audible indicator warns you when it is running.
Key Fob badges, intended to be attached to your keychain, are equipped with a system detecting your arrival at home and automatically disconnecting the alarm before you enter. Their material quality nevertheless seems to leave something to be desired.
Finally, the downside is that the 110 dB alarm seems very sensitive, and is likely to be triggered for nothing.
In summary, this connected system allows you to instantly follow what is happening in your home thanks, in particular, to a well-supplied pack, which can be supplemented by additional sensors, detectors and sirens, as well as by a camera system. However, these supplements significantly increase the bill, which is not negligible if you have to equip a large property.
A cheap alternative: Kerui G18
This standard kit equipped with two motion detectors, five door and window sensors and two remote controls can be used manually or via GSM. It is possible to link it to several people, and the whole is of course supplementable with additional accessories. It also covers a large area thanks to its detection range of up to 100 meters.
You can simply operate the security system either with a four-button remote control, or via voice message, or with the GSM-related application. The latter, called “G18 Alarm”, is available on iOS and Android.
Two cards can be integrated. The SIM card is used to receive text messages in the event of an alert, while the SD card is used to record the alarm history. The latter is especially useful if you decide to take the infrared IP camera, sold separately.
You can go further by completing your system, which is compatible with no less than 150 sensors and 99 detectors. You can also decide to set the alarm to automatic arming and disarming, or configure them via access code.
However, it is at the installation level that the shoe pinches. Indeed, the manual, only provided in English, makes installation difficult for the majority of users. In addition, the hardware quality of the devices is apparently not the most impressive.
In short, the price / quality ratio of the Kerui G18 seems a little less interesting. It will nevertheless be useful if you are looking for a surveillance system capable of warning you of an intrusion offered at an affordable price.
Ectech : this system is equipped with four window and door sensors, two motion detectors, two remote controls and a GSM notification system. It also benefits from a powerful siren (120 dB) as well as an expandable and complete accessory kit. However, its manual in English puts users in difficulty for its installation, and its high sensitivity can cause baseless alerts. In addition, its autonomy is a bit weak.
Smanos K1 : this alarm system with a round and minimalist design includes two sensors for doors and windows, a motion detector, an indoor siren and a wireless control panel. The kit nevertheless seems a bit low for the price, and we therefore recommend it rather for a small home. Other than that, it takes advantage of practical technologies such as compatibility with Wi-Fi cameras or even voice control.