Without a mill, no woodworking master can imagine his work now. This tool is more compact than any machine, while it performs approximately the same functions. With it, you can perform a curved profile, align the edges, create a niche for the castle and perform other similar actions. At the same time, there are submersible, also called vertical, edge (trimmers), rotational, filler and lamellar milling cutters. In today’s article, we will talk about each of the varieties of this very useful tool.
Best Milling Cutters Company
In its structure, the milling cutter is similar to an electric saw or a jigsaw. “Vyboroved” already wrote about these power tools. The list of milling manufacturers will be similar. Of course, unfamiliar brands are now appearing, but we do not recommend seriously paying attention to them. The fact is that milling machines under brands unknown to a wide range of people often have poor manufacturing quality.
As a result, there is a possibility that you may quickly be faced with the need to repair a power tool. Do you need it? Isn’t it better to spend a little more, but get the perfect milling cutter that can last indefinitely?
In Russia, the most popular milling machines under the following brands:
Domestic products are also in some demand. They should be looked at only if you have a shortage of available funds.
The best vertical (immersion) milling cutters
Bosch POF 1400 ACE
One of the few tools close to the title of ideal. The power of the engine installed here is brought to an impressive 1,400 watts. This allows the device to cope with absolutely any type of wood.
Special electronic components try to maintain a constant value of speed, despite the magnitude of the current resistance. Included with the milling cutter, the buyer gets a case, which greatly simplifies transportation. Also, several collets are supplied with the milling cutter.
Milling depth reaches 55 mm;
The rotation speed varies from 11 to 28 thousand rpm;
There is a revolving emphasis;
The buyer receives a rich bundle;
Large output power (650 W);
There is a backlight;
Can connect a vacuum cleaner;
Support for constant rotation speed under load;
The price tag does not go beyond the reasonable.
High noise level.
One of the most expensive milling machines among those available on the Russian market. It has a very large size, but the tool is able to offer a 60 mm milling depth. Also, its electronics allow you to adjust the rotation speed in the range from 9000 to 23000 rpm. Importantly, the speed will be maintained at one value, regardless of the load.
The power of the electric motor installed here is 1850 watts. If necessary, the user can connect a construction vacuum cleaner – for this purpose a special pipe is included in the kit. Also, the buyer will get a parallel emphasis, a 12 mm collet, adapter sleeves and two wrenches.
The kit has almost everything you need;
Very large milling depth;
There is a revolving emphasis;
Speed under load is maintained at one value;
Implemented a soft start.
Very high cost.
Mafell NFU 32
One of those disk milling machines that can do anything. Under its body is an engine with a power consumption of up to 1600 watts. The disk rotates at a speed of 4500 rpm. In the material, it can be immersed to a depth of 32 mm.
As expected, you can set a different cutter here, but the maximum tool diameter cannot exceed 125 mm. This tool differs from cheaper analogues by the ability to precisely set the milling depth. And even the creators did not save on a network cable – its length is four meters.
It copes with milling transverse and longitudinal grooves;
You can install a 125 mm snap;
High speed of rotation of a mill;
Decent milling depth;
Very powerful electric motor;
In the kit there is a parallel emphasis and other accessories;
It can be used in conjunction with a vacuum cleaner.
The maximum price tag.
The best milling cutter
Flex RE 14 5 115 Estrich Jet
Very good milling cutter, the body of which is painted in red and black colors. The manufacturer introduced here an electric motor with a capacity of 1400 watts, thanks to which the tool copes with the processing of almost all materials. There is also smart electronics inside the router. She tries not to pay attention to the load, supporting the user-specified speed parameter (from 1800 to 5200 rpm). And it provides a soft start, which is important when in a room with poor wiring. As much as possible, a mill with a diameter of 80 mm is placed here, which allows you to clean a fairly large area. Not only a plastic case, but also many other accessories are supplied with the router.
No one forbids connecting a vacuum cleaner;
The package consists of everything you need;
The rotation speed is user adjustable;
Electronics provides a smooth start;
Light weight (3.1 kg);
The set speed value under load is supported;
Output power reaches 880 watts.
The price tag may make you postpone the purchase.
Best Edge Milling Machine
DeWALT D 26200
Professionals also call this router a trimmer. The engine installed here may initially seem insufficiently powerful. But in fact, 900 watts is almost the limit for such a tool. A rare edge mill allows you to adjust the speed of rotation. But such a function is also implemented here! The user is provided with a range from 16,000 to 27,000 rpm. Well, the maximum milling depth here reaches an impressive 55 mm! There is even a backlight here – a rare guest in such power tools.
It is possible to work with a vacuum cleaner;
It starts smoothly;
The rotation speed can be adjusted;
The maximum number of revolutions per minute inspires respect;
Built-in powerful and durable engine;
Huge by the standards of edge models milling depth;
Under load, the speed is maintained at the selected value.
Options can hardly be called rich.
The best lamellar milling cutter
Intersko FMSh 100 710 E
“Vyboroved” could very well recommend you to buy some imported lamellar (keyway) milling cutter. But why, if a domestic tool does an excellent job of its tasks? It weighs only 2.8 kg, and its design has a spindle lock, making tool replacement safer.
As much as possible here you can install a cutter with a diameter of 100 mm. At the same time, the milling depth cannot exceed 20 mm. But a larger lamella tool is not needed. The electric motor power here is 710 watts, it provides rotation of the disk at a speed of 9000 rpm.
Powerful enough motor;
There is a spindle lock;
Doesn’t weigh very much;
Installation of 100 mm cutters is available;
Adequate price tag.
The rotation speed cannot be adjusted;
There are no advanced technologies (soft start and others).
The best filler router
Mafell DD40 P PowerMAX
The minimum number of milling cutters is entering the Russian market. And if you need just such a tool, then you have no particular choice. You need either the Mafell DD40 P PowerMAX, or less powerful devices from the same company. This model has a 1000-watt engine, providing a rotation speed of 13500 rpm.
The milling depth can also not be called low – it is 40 mm. There is a revolving emphasis, which allows you to achieve this depth in several passes. And also the tool allows you to connect a vacuum cleaner. But the main advantage of the router is in its rich configuration. There is a high probability that you will not need to buy any additional accessories at all.
In the kit there are a large number of dowels, drills and other equipment;
Very long service life;
1 kW motor;
It is difficult to find fault with the depth of milling;
The revolving emphasis is not forgotten;
Possible interaction with a vacuum cleaner;
Long power cable.
You can not call cheap.
The best rotary milling machine
Metabo FME 737
Another rare guest on the shelves of shops selling power tools. Such a milling cutter is called not only rotational, but also tiled. This makes it clear what kind of materials the tool was created for processing. The diameter of the collet used here is only 8 mm, but the speed of its rotation can vary from 13 to 34 thousand rpm.
As a result, it is extremely difficult to damage the tile – the milling cutter goes along it, like a knife in oil. It is important that there is not only speed adjustment, but also support for a given parameter under load. Compared to other milling cutters, this tool seems like a fluff – its weight does not exceed 1.4 kg.
The power tool is very light;
Very high rotation speed;
Under load, the rotation speed does not decrease;
The network cable is four meters long.
Options can be called poor.
How to Choose the Best Milling Cutters
1. If you are looking for a submersible router, then consider buying a Bosch POF 1400 ACE. This will be the best solution. This tool has a powerful engine and rich functionality, while it does not cost a lot of money. The depth of its milling is 55 mm.
2. Makita 3612C has the highest possible characteristics. This tool can easily penetrate wood to a depth of 60 mm. At the same time, a constant number of revolutions per minute is maintained here, regardless of the hardness of the treated wood.
3. If you want to purchase a disk mill, then it is advisable to pay attention to the Mafell NFU 32. But there is a chance that this tool will not be affordable for you, it is too expensive. Be that as it may, it is he who is better and quicker to handle the processing of various grooves.
4. Now in stores you can find no more than ten different cleaning milling cutters – such tools are not in great demand. Among them, Flex RE 14-5 115 Estrich-Jet stands out. There is a powerful motor, spindle fixing, smooth rotation speed adjustment, and the kit consists of the tool itself, a suitcase, a set of grinding discs and many other useful things.
5. Edge milling is best handled by the DeWALT D 26200. This trimmer has at its disposal an engine that provides 620-watt output. The maximum speed parameter reaches 27,000 rpm – can anyone really want anything more from the router?
6. The range of key milling machines is expanding more and more. But these tools do not differ much from each other. Other things being equal, we would recommend you buy the domestic Interskol FMSh-100 / 710E. It is not the most powerful and advanced, but it fulfills 100% of the funds invested in its acquisition.
7. If necessary, buy a milling cutter should take a look at the Mafell DD40 P PowerMAX. It does not have the highest rotation speed, but on the other hand there is a very powerful electric motor inside the tool. Also, the device differs in delivery – the set includes drills, dowels, and two anti-slip mats, and a container for glue, and much more.
8. If you regularly process tiles, then you need a rotary milling machine. It has a high rotation speed of a small collet. The best choice would be Metabo FME 737. It maintains the speed at the selected value, regardless of the current load. It also has a very low weight.