After several hours of in-depth research among more than twenty models, we have managed to select what we think are the 5 best duvets currently available on the European online market. Among these, we have identified Bleu Câlin 4 Saisons as number 1 thanks to its excellent quality / price ratio, its system of separable quilts and its eco-responsible French manufacturing.
Why trust us ?
The Selectos editorial team spends thousands of hours researching, analyzing and comparing products in order to find those that offer the best value for money.
None of our articles are sponsored. We sometimes receive a commission when you buy a product through our links, which allows us to finance our work while remaining completely impartial.
How did we choose?
A good night’s sleep requires good bedding and a comfortable duvet. However, it is important to choose a quality duvet that is suitable for the season.
To help you in your future purchase, we have listed the main points to take into account:
- Dimensions : the most exceptional quilt that will be of much use to you if it is not adapted to the size of your bed. For a bed of 80 or 90 cm, count a duvet of 140 x 200 cm ; for a 120 or 140 cm bed (double standard), a duvet of 200 x 200 cm ; for a Queen Size bed (160 cm), one of 240 cm x 220 cm and for a King Size bed (180 cm), a duvet of 260 x 220 cm .
- Weight : the choice depends above all on your habits. Some people like featherweight comforters, others prefer heavier ones. In all cases, remember to systematically check the weight of a duvet as this will save you from unpleasant surprises.
The filling is also important because not only does it determine the calorific value of the duvet, but it also affects its weight and its ease of maintenance. There are three types:
- Synthetic filling : Made of polyester, synthetic duvets are the cheapest. Flat, they can be quite heavy when their grammage is important and this, even if the manufacturers compete of imagination to design models more and more light and powerful. Often compatible with the washer and dryer, they are recommended for people with allergies.
- The natural filling : composed of feathers or down, it offers a high calorific power for a light and puffy duvet. If those which consist of down are the most expensive on the market, they nevertheless benefit from a good longevity. Reputed to be warmer and lighter, goose down is more sought after (and more expensive) than duck, which explains the difference in grammage for the same warmth comfort. Maintenance, and more precisely the drying stage, remains delicate.
- Hydride fillings : there are quilts that are 50% natural and 50% synthetic. You can also find a duvet in natural filling with 85% feathers and 15% goose down. Thanks to its remarkable lightness and high calorific value, this duvet ensures comfortable and warm nights.
Other characteristics seem essential to us to consider:
- The grammage : it determines the calorific performances of a comforter. The choice of grammage depends on the season and the nature of the filling. For a summer duvet the grammage is generally lower. Count 180 g / m² for a natural summer duvet and 200 to 250 g / m² for a synthetic duvet. As for the winter quilt, it generally has a grammage of 270 g / m² when it is natural and displays 300 to 450 g / m² when it is synthetic.
- The envelope : its role is above all to allow a good distribution of the filling and to prevent it from escaping. So check two points: the density of the weaving and the quality of the seams. If you opt for a natural duvet, cotton percale is the most appropriate option (with a density of 120 to 150 threads / cm²). For a synthetic duvet, the choice is wider. Organic cotton, silk or bamboo, opt for a density of minimum 90 threads / cm² .
- The quilting : waves, lines, diamonds, squares or rectangles, the quilting of the duvet is not a detail. Indeed, these patterns do not have an aesthetic vocation but a practical role, since it is a question of preventing the filling from migrating from one point to another of the duvet. Homogeneous padding provides more comfort and prevents heat loss.
- Washability: it is necessary to wash your duvet once or twice a year. However, as we have already told you, some duvets can be machine washed and tumble dried, provided that you choose a low temperature (40 °). It is advisable to always wash a duvet alone. Fold it in an accordion before putting it in the drum and prefer powdered detergents which are more effective for this type of laundry. Take care not to exceed 900 rpm for spinning.
Note that to distribute the models in the different price ranges, we used the standard size 200 x 200 cm as a reference.
Based on these elements of analysis and after comparing more than twenty products by consulting the opinions of experts and users, we were able to identify the 5 best quilts currently available.
Our Choice: Blue Hug 4 Seasons
This eco-responsible product made in France benefits from an excellent quality / price ratio. With the slightest swipe, the user benefits from a blanket that offers comfort all year round thanks to its separation system. Indeed, it is possible to enjoy a summer duvet or a mid-season duvet. By bringing them together, we obtain perfect insulation for winter or less well-heated rooms.
Available in 140 x 200 , 220 x 240 and 240 x 260 cm versions , it is characterized by an apparent lightness since it weighs 3 kg.
The Bleu Câlin 4 Saison can count on an Isolane filling in three-dimensional silicone hollow fiber, that is to say designed to optimize air circulation and thus provide a soft swelling.
The weight is distributed between the two quilts that make up the cover. Thus, the summer one is light, since it accounts for 200 g / m², while the temperate displays 300 g / m². You just have to unite them to get a ready-to-use quilt for the winter season. Note also that if the knot separation system is solid, some users think that it could however be improved by opting for a pressure system.
With a 100% polyester microfiber cover and a straight stitching, this model has proven itself over time. A good point which is added to its eco-responsible manufacturing.
In terms of maintenance, nothing could be simpler. You just need to pass it to the machine at 40 °. If the use of the dryer is not recommended, or even totally prohibited, it still dries quickly in the open air.
In short, with its soft and light 4-season duvet, Bleu Câlin offers an ingenious 2-in-1 system since you just have to adapt your duvet according to the periods and the outside temperature.
The best cheap duvet: Abeil Douceur Infinie Chaude
Available in no less than 4 dimensions, this model has a good grammage which, if not optimal, remains warm and comfortable all the same. Its lightness is partly explained by the use of fine but qualitative interior and exterior materials. Indeed, whether it is the envelope or the filling, both are made of polyester. Oeko-Tex certification guarantees a healthy, recycled and recyclable product. A good point that is worth raising.
Founded in 1870, the least we can say is that the French company Abeil has no shortage of experience. While it has specialized in the design of synthetic duvets since 1960, it offers here a comforter available in 4 different sizes. Indeed, in addition to that at 200 x 200 , the Abeil Douceur Infinie also exists in 140 x 200 , 220 x 240 and 240 x 260 cm.
If this light duvet has a weight of 3.71 kg, it is nonetheless pleasant, warm and very swelling.
Its filling and its grammage also contribute to the comfort it provides. While the Airfill interior materials consist of a dimensional fiber with a polar effect, or an insulating synthetic textile, its grammage reaches 400 g / m². Note that this duvet is effective when used in rooms heated between 18 and 20 ° C. Below that, the chilly temperaments could find it insufficient.
Fortunately, its softness is nonetheless altered since its envelope consists essentially of microfiber polyester which offers a pleasant “peach skin” feel. The latter features a dense shell pattern stitching which allows the fibers to stay in place.
From a practical point of view, this duvet is easy to maintain since it is machine washed and dried.
In addition to being made from recycled materials and products devoid of harmful substances, Abeil’s Douceur Infinie Chaude is minimalist and effective. If it is more designed for comfortably heated rooms, it remains functional, especially when combined with a soft and fluffy mattress or topper .
The best high-end duvet: Dodo Helsinki
If it displays a high price – although it remains very affordable in view of the materials used – this anti-mite duvet can boast of having a 100% natural filling composed of duck down and feathers. Warm and very qualitative, its cotton cover is soft and pleasant on the skin. This comforter is available in 3 other dimensions, all of which retain the lightness of a low-weight blanket.
The Dodo Helsinki also exists in 140 x 200 , 220 x 240 and 240 x 260 cm. If it is comfortable and warm, it weighs only 2.5 kg in standard size 200 x 200 cm.
It stands out from its competitors thanks to a 100% natural filling which consists of 10% duck down and 90% small feathers. Like our best cheap, this duvet has a weight of 400 g / m² . Like it, its effectiveness depends on the ambient temperature. So be sure to use it in comfortably heated rooms.
Benefiting from an anti-mite treatment, this comforter can also boast of enjoying qualitative exterior materials. Indeed, its envelope is exclusively made of cotton percale. Thus, you benefit from a more resistant and more durable fabric which offers optimal breathability.
Even more, the quality of its stitching in partitioned tiles also allows a longer lifespan by ensuring a filling that remains uniform night after night and washing after washing.
Indeed, this duvet is very easy to maintain since it can be washed at low temperature – or at 40 ° C – and dried in the machine.
Warm and very soft, the Dodo Helsinki made in France enjoys an excellent quality / price ratio since it presents itself as an option as durable as it is qualitative.
A cheap alternative: Utopia Bedding
Composed of a microfiber cover and a synthetic filling, this duvet stands out above all by its hypoallergenic nature. If it benefits from solid finishes, the stitching is not the most exceptional and the low grammage of 300g / m ² makes it more suitable for the mid-season period, which does not prevent it from displaying good value for money. /price.
Mainly known for its excellent mattresses, the Australian company Utopia also offers bed linen and pillows .
Their flagship quilt is available in 4 different sizes since, in addition to the standard version, it offers versions of 135 x 200 , 155 x 220 and 220 x 240 cm. Be aware that these different models are all vacuum-packed upon delivery. It therefore takes at least 24 hours for them to regain their bulk.
Exclusively synthetic, the filling is made of polyester. If all goes well so far, the grammage is a flat since it only displays 300 g / m², the minimum recommended for a winter comforter. So, if you want to use it, favor more well-heated rooms both in winter and in mid-season.
This duvet is light, of course, but also very soft given its microfiber cover which makes it pleasant to the touch. If the finishes are solid, the stitching is not very efficient since the squares are quite large. In the long term, the padding may move and be inconsistent.
It is nonetheless easy to maintain thanks to its compatibility with the washing machine and dryer, always at low temperature.
If Utopia claims so-called “luxury” products at lower prices, we can only question this designation without denigrating the performance and efficiency of its manufacturing. After all, the Utopia Bedding remains a practical, space-saving and hypoallergenic duvet. It is an excellent choice for troubleshooting and / or extra use.
A mid-range alternative: Homescapes
This anti-mite and hypoallergenic model is available in 4 different sizes. In addition to being qualitative due to the materials it uses, it is distinguished above all by a very high thermal resistance index. In other words, you benefit from a warm duvet which is nonetheless breathable. If it goes to the machine and the dryer (at low temperature), its delicate washing requires all the necessary precautions.
Originally from the United Kingdom, the Homescape brand is known for its classic but very affordable furniture. With this duvet, it offers a safe bet for lovers of down.
In addition to the standard version of 4.38 kg, this comforter is also available in 135 x 200 , 230 x 220 and 260 x 220 cm.
It benefits from very qualitative interior materials since its filling consists of 85% feathers and 10% goose down, a combination that continues to prove itself over the years.
The Homescapes is distinguished above all by the high calorific value of its grammage which rises to 13.5 tog. No doubt, therefore, about its ability to keep warm. Note however that for a down model, it remains light and pleasantly breathable.
Like the Helsinki Dodo, it has a 100% cotton percale cover for a soft and silky touch, even if it is not the most silent.
Its quilting in the square is dense but perhaps a little large which, in the long term, could risk becoming a problem putting the uniformity of the quilt.
Its maintenance is another inconvenience since if the down supports washing well enough, drying is much more delicate. It is therefore preferable to entrust the duvet to a professional to avoid the appearance of bad odors and, in the worst case, mold.
In short, this duvet – which the company specifies that the feathers come from geese previously intended for consumption – enjoys an excellent quality / price ratio thanks, in particular, to the use of noble materials and the presence of high calorific value.
Linenspa 4 Saisons : Soft, reversible and hypoallergenic, this quilt weighing 300 g / m² can be machine and tumble dried. Adapted for all seasons, it benefits from a synthetic filling. If it is very fashionable beyond European borders thanks to its quality and its efficiency, we do not wish to include it in our selection because of the difference between the American market and the European market. Available at roughly 25 euros in the United States, you’ll have to spend more than 80 euros here.